Super Quick, Easy and Yummy Buckwheat, Almond & Vanilla Pancakes
I’m a creature of habit. I can happily have the same breakfast day after day without getting bored. Mr Bee, on the other hand, hankers after something a little different, so today I decided to rustle up a quick treat.
This is the second time I’ve made pancakes in the van, it’s super quick and easy and guaranteed to brighten up even the most mizzly of mornings.
This recipe pairs the nuttiness of buckwheat with the sweetness of almonds for a truly delicious and healthy-protein-packed breakfast that will put a smile on your lips and a spring in your step.
One of the key ingredients here is buckwheat, which is a pseudo-cereal (how cool does that sound?!). This means that, while it’s eaten in the same way as you would other grains, it doesn’t actually grow on grasses. Also, despite what its name suggests, buckwheat is not related to wheat, and is therefore gluten-free. So if you’ve got gluten sensitivity (an increasing number of people do) or are concerned about the negative effect of gluten on your brain, this recipe is for you! The good news is there are plenty of healthy gluten-free alternatives, so you don’t need to give up the foods you love, you just need to tweak them slightly 🙂
But anyway, when it comes to rustling up these little patties of prodigious pleasure, you really only need one reason, and that is to give yourself a treat that makes your tastebuds zing, and your tummy sing a song of contented delight!
Buckwheat, Almond and Vanilla Vegan Pancake recipe (makes two)
A handful of ingredients:
- 4 tbsp buckwheat flakes (part of our “Vegan Van Essentials”, but you could also experiment with buckwheat flour)
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- ¼ cup almond milk (or other dairy-free milk of your choice)
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt (if desired)
- Dollop of coconut oil (to cook)
Easy peezy to make:
When mixing the dough, it’s a good idea to draw upon your pancakey intuition and feel for a consistency that will stick and hold together nicely (see photos). Use the measurements here as a guide, but be prepared to add a little more milk or flour if you think the mixture is a bit too dry or too moist. Remember, you’re not aiming for a crepe like batter, but rather an almost ‘doughy’ ball that you can easily shape in your hands.
- Throw all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together until you get a dough-like consistency.
- Split the mixture in two and form each pancake by hand.
- In a frying pan, heat up a little coconut oil.
- Fry the pancakes for around 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown
- Serve with honey (or maple syrup for you strict vegans) and fruit, or peanut butter and jam, or date compote (link to fruit sticks and dips post)
Crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, sweet and satisfying—these vegan buckwheat pancakes are sure to make you feel fantastic. NUM!
>>Click to Tweet!<<
And as always, we would love to hear about your vegan food making endeavours, so please leave us your comments, tips, tricks and personal testimonials regarding all things pancakey!